A jon boat is a great investment, so what are some ways you can protect and enjoy that investment? A jon boat cover is a necessity for anybody owning a boat.
Read on to find out:
- What is a jon boat cover and do you need one?
- What to consider when you want to buy one.
- Different product listings to choose from.
What is a Jon boat cover and why do I need one?
Boat covers can double as protection and offer comfort while using your jon boat. For storage purposes, if you are storing your jon boat outside then a cover will protect it from sun, rain, snow, and wind. A cover will keep debris out, including sticks, leaves, or litter that could get into the boat. Specialty covers can prevent mold and mildew which can easily happen in moist environments. Whether stored indoors or outdoors, animals have a way of getting into small and often wired areas and can wreak havoc! A cover will help to keep them out. Covers can offer more than just protection though, certain kinds can be used overhead to keep the sun and rain off. You may consider using a simple tarp, but these can be difficult to secure, often fly off at even a slight breeze, and offer little storage protection or comfort on the water. There are a lot of cover advantages that can help when the boat is in or out of use.
Depending on your vessel size and your needs, jon boat covers come in many different options. Some covers are specifically for long or short-term storage. These cannot be on while in use. Those kinds of covers are good protection from all kinds of different hazards. Other covers are specific to comfort and protection while you are out on the water. The area you live in and the conditions you plan to go out in can be a factor in choosing one of these covers. There are total enclosed ones, providing excellent rain and sun protection. There are also just overhead covers, also offering protection but not as much. If you ever experienced it raining sideways, this is where the overhead top would be lacking. Choosing the right coverage starts with knowing what each cover type has to offer, and then comparing all the specifics of what you want to get out of a boat cover.
How to choose the right cover? Tips, tricks, and a guide
Jon boat covers come in a wide variety of options. The two main categories are storage protection and comfort when in use. Different advantages and disadvantages are depending on your priorities. Before diving into the different cover types, there are some tips and tricks to think over.
Protection for Jon boat
Looking at what the cover offers in way of protection, such as UV resistance, mold, and mildew resistance is important. The sun can be damaging to a boat sitting outside even if it is nicely covered. The sun can also damage the cover itself if it isn’t UV-rated. This may or may not be a concern for your personal needs but it is something to be aware of. Is the cover mold or mildew resistant? Mold and mildew can be dangerous, the right cover can protect against this but you do need to look for it.
Jon boat fastening
Other considerations include how are you going to secure this cover on your jon boat. Some covers have snap secures and some have a rope in the hem you cinch. A tight-fitting cover is important to think about and also what will be compatible with your boat and what will be your best option. Snaps offer a tight fit however if your needing to undo and redo a multitude of snaps constantly this might get frustrating.
Type of cover for Jon boat
Another use consideration is will you be traveling with this cover on? If you want a cover for the long term, over the winter storage may not be an issue for you. Some covers will travel nicely with your trailer set up and some may not.
Jon boats’ warranty
It is also worth taking a look at whether a warranty is offered on your jon boat cover. Looking into a warranty or return options is best before making a purchase. Those are some different items to look into while deciding on what cover will be suitable for you.
What are the main types of covers?
- An open-sided cover, usually made of canvas material and supported by a metal frame.
- Offers shade from the sun or light rain, because the sides are open, protection is somewhat limited.
- A versatile option can be folded up or down when needed or not in use.
- If you want some protection but do not want to enclose the boat, this is a great option.
Bow To Stern or Mooring Covers
- A total enclosure, for storage or transportation.
- Covers the entire boat, from bow to stern as the name implies.
- Is secured with snaps or a rope in the hem to be cinched.
- Look for a hefty material if you want substantial protection during storage or transportation.
Custom Fit Covers
- You will choose the cover to be fitted to the exact year, make, and model of your jon boat.
- A totally custom option also allows you to include any accessories you have onboard.
- A tight-fitting cover means no wind getting in and catching.
Semi-Custom Fit Covers
- Similar to custom but with fewer options.
- Instead of specifics like a year, make, and model, it is made for a certain boat type.
- Substantially more cost-effective to the custom fit cover.
- Has an independent secure frame.
- Well suited for camping on the boat.
- Not easily taken off and put on again.
- Suited for long term on a boat.
- These connect to an existing camper or bimini cover.
- Imagine sturdier shower curtains.
- These are a great option for a little rain or wind protection.
- Easy to put on and take off again.
10 ft Jon boat covers
Oceansouth Heavy Duty 100% Solution Dyed Polyester Boat Cover for up to 10′ Jon Boat
- Made of a tough polyester marine-grade fabric so it is lightweight but tough.
- Water repellent, great for storage or while docked.
- The seams are double-stitched and double-ply.
- A rope hem closure with web tabs on the cover.
- A mesh storage bag is included which is great because this cover is not recommended for use while trailering.
- Cost-effective option.
Poly-Flex II 10 ft Jon Boat Cover
- Made out of marine-grade polyester and polyurethane finished coating.
- Solution-dyed, the color goes fully through the fabric instead of just being on the surface.
- The cover is lightweight at just 5.3 ounces but offers strong protection.
- A UV-resistant finish, great sun blockage.
- Mildew-resistant, breathable to help moisture escape and keep the inside dry.
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
Classic Accessories 10 ft Jon Boat Cover, Olive
- Made out of marine-grade polyester and polyurethane finished coating.
- Constructed with reinforced corners made of polyester.
- The elastic cord at the bottom is the closure type.
- Dual air vents to reduce trapped moisture inside.
- Weather-protected fabric that protects from mildew.
- Fits 10-12 ft. jon boats and includes a storage bag and tie-down ropes.
12 ft Jon boat covers
Sun-Dura Styled to Fit 12 ft Jon Boat Cover
- Solution-dyed marine-grade polyester, dye goes through every layer.
- Can be used during trailering when secured correctly.
- Resistant against UV rays and mildew.
- 7-year limited warranty, that’s a long time.
- Ready to fit design, fits many different boat models.
- Trolling motor coverage can be included with this cover.
Bass Pro Shops Travel Tite 12 ft Jon Boat Cover
- Is trailerable but does not include a support pole.
- A 5-year limited warranty is included.
- Water-resistant cover, however, pole sold separately is recommended to limit pooling water.
- Elastic hem closure to secure the cover to the boat.
- 300 denier fabric, denier is a measurement of the thickness of the fabric.
Classic Accessories 12 ft Jon Boat Cover
- Good for jon boats 12 – 14 ft.
- Elastic cord in hem for closure.
- Constructed from polyester fabric.
- Protects from mildew, the sun, dirt, and weather.
- Dual air vents for increased breathability.
14 ft Jon boat covers
210D Heavy Duty Waterproof UV Resistant Marine Grade Oxford Fabric 14 ft Jon Boat Cover
- This semi-custom cover fits jon boats with square or tapered bows and bench seats.
- Includes a sewn-in motor hood, if you need a motor cover included.
- Double folded hems with 4 ply seams make for a durable cover.
- Can be used during transportation with a trailer.
- Made from acrylic-coated polyester for a breathable fabric.
- Mildew and UV resistant.
Aqua Armor 14 ft Jon Boat Cover
- A 1200 denier polyester fabric.
- Reinforced waterproof seams and UV protection.
- Support straps and buckles for secured trailering.
- Protects against weather, hard rain, snow, and the hot sun.
- The boat support pole and boat cover support system are an additional add-on.
Classic 14′ Jon Boat Cover
- Dual air vents help prevent moisture build-up and air pressure changes.
- Non-scratch heavy-duty D-rings are included in the cover.
- Fits 14ft. Jon boats with a beam of 62 in.
- Storage bag and tie-down ropes are included with this cover.
- Made with weather-protected fabric which resists mildew.
16 ft Jon boat covers
Spartan Supreme™ 1200 Boat Cover for 16 ft Jon Boat
- Free storage bags and trailering storage straps are included in the purchase.
- Fabric is 100% waterproof and provides weather and sun protection.
- Excellent fit is guaranteed or money-back offers. Also comes with a 10-year warranty covering rips and tears.
- Fully breathable fabric to protect against mold and mildew.
- Hem cord constructed into cover.
- The cover is guaranteed to not shrink or stretch.
Marine Raider Model C 300-Denier Boat Cover for 16 ft Jon Boat
- Made from heavy-duty polyester that protects from water, UV, and mildew.
- Trailering straps are included with the cover.
- 300 denier polyester with reinforced bow and stern for extra strength.
- Does not come with elastic around the bottom for closure.
- Will not fit over trolling motor, will need a separate piece.
18 ft Jon boat covers
18′ Jon Boat Covers Marine Grade Heavy Duty 300D Mode D
- Includes webbing straps with buckles, integrated system allows for easy installation and quick off.
- Reinforced stress points, such as stern and bow.
- Air vents decrease moisture build-up and wind during transportation or severe weather.
- Carry strap sewn in for easier carrying.
- Protection for UV, weather, and moisture accumulation.
- Spot clean with water, hang to dry are easy care instructions.
Boar Cover for V Hull Runabout 18 ft Jon Boat
- Semi-custom fit cover.
- Breathable fabric that is UV, mold, and mildew resistant.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty and includes an over/under trailering strap kit.
- 600 denier polyester, weighing 6.9 ounces.
- A reinforced sewn-in shock cord that fits securely.
18′ 6″ Aluminum Modified V Jon Boat
- Covers a trolling motor and other mounted accessories.
- A shock cord is sewn in the hem and webbed loops around the hem.
- UV resistance to prevent sun damage and fading.
- Water repellent to prevent mold and mildew.
- Comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
20 ft Jon boat covers
Styled-to-Fit® 20 ft Boat Cover – 7.6OZ. Sun-Dura®
- Rated with 5/5 UV protection and water repellency.
- Excellent rated mildew resistance, strength, and breathability.
- Great against cold cracking.
- Double-stitched and 4 ply seams to ensure a tough cover.
- 7-year limited warranty.
Classic Accessories StormPro V-Hull 20 ft Jon Boat Cover
- Versatile long-term storage or transportation cover.
- Tie-down straps and support pole included.
- 5-year manufacturer warranty.
- Water repellent helps to prevent mildew and mold.
- The cover protects from damaging UV rays.
Are you confident in buying a jon boat cover now?
Perhaps you already found and purchased a jon boat cover from the list above. No worries if the search continues though. A cover is a great addition to your boat. If you are wanting to long-term store the jon boat, for traveling use, or just the short times in between getting out and back on the water. There are a lot of specifics to consider.
Mainly what you need a cover for. Things like UV protection, mold, and mildew resistance are big things to consider for storage. If you are looking for more comfort-related tops, those are also available with different options. Something temporary for those sudden rain showers or something more permanent for longer trips out on the water.
Once you determine all those factors a boat cover that perfectly suits your needs is out there.